[GNC] Need help with a Savings account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 00:57:39 EDT 2019

Adrien,

The Guide covers in some detail both the concept of double entry and debits and credits. In fact, some have suggested that the guide goes into too much detail about these concepts.

It was the reason I suggested that the recent user consult the documentation, since it explained everything he was asking.

David

  On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 8:32, Adrien Monteleone<adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:   Colin,

<snip>Recent threads showcase this exact scenario — a user didn’t understand what GnuCash was doing, (and perhaps to my lesser judgement) I recommended turning on BOTH Transaction Journal View and Formal Accounting Labels. Unfortunately, only the first was initially accomplished and many list exchanges and confusion ensued. Once both changes were made, things improved. (with, it seems, still room for better understanding)

Maybe I’m missing something from a long ago thread where this was discussed as a design decision. And admittedly, the case doesn’t come up often enough to warrant a change in the defaults.

But I do see room for improvement for comprehension, though I’m not sure what form it should take, if simply to continue to be addressed on a case-by-case basis when a user reaches that stage. Maybe this is something for the wiki?

Maybe there is a better way to explain what GnuCash is doing without resorting to an explanation of double-entry, debits/credits, without seeing the whole transaction, etc. I’m all for a simple path to the ‘right answer’ or at least the ‘most correct answer for right now’ even if it isn’t the ‘most complete answer’.

I guess I just don’t see how to explain what is going on, without explaining what is going on. (I’m not talking about backend details of the code of course, just the basic accounting principles being implemented)

Maybe “I” need to read the docs more often? Perhaps they are doing the job already and a simple, but polite version of RT(f)M (even for myself) would suffice?

Regards,
Adrien