[GNC] Installing 3.5 deb packages on Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 18 02:18:36 EDT 2019

So, I’m jumping a day ahead and I upgraded my Ubuntu Cosmic 18.10 installation to 19.04.

Now, attempting to install Stephen’s 3.5 .deb build gets me this:

```
gnucash depends on libboost-date-time1.65.1; however:
  Package libboost-date-time1.65.1 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libboost-filesystem1.65.1; however:
  Package libboost-filesystem1.65.1 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libboost-locale1.65.1; however:
  Package libboost-locale1.65.1 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libboost-regex1.65.1; however:
  Package libboost-regex1.65.1 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libboost-system1.65.1; however:
  Package libboost-system1.65.1 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.5); however:
  Package libpython3.6 is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libfinance-quote-perl; however:
  Package libfinance-quote-perl is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libhtml-tableextract-perl; however:
  Package libhtml-tableextract-perl is not installed.
 gnucash depends on libcrypt-ssleay-perl; however:
  Package libcrypt-ssleay-perl is not installed.
```

I seem to recall similar errors when I tried the 3.4 package on 18.10. So perhaps there is now this odd situation where newer distros which don’t have newer GC versions still have to build from source, because the pre-built versions are targeting a lower release. (19.04 *does* contain 3.4 however in it’s repos)

I was going to fight through the above dependency pasta, but then I saw this right after:

```
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python3-gnucash:
 python3-gnucash depends on libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.5); however:
  Package libpython3.6 is not installed.
 python3-gnucash depends on python3 (<< 3.7); however:
  Version of python3 on system is 3.7.3-1.
```

So my version of python3 is too new? Hmm.. I’m not going to downgrade it. This might simply be a specification in the packaging. Maybe building from source won’t throw the same errors.

I’m headed to bed, but I might try building from source in the am, just to see if the wiki instructions need updating for Disco, unless someone beats me to it.

Regards,
Adrien