[GNC] Need help with a Savings account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 02:46:48 EDT 2019

Adrien,

Your willingness to help others in such situations far outstrips my own, and I commend you for it.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I think it is better to refer users to the documentation first, and address their questions at a later stage, for a number of reasons.

First, a great deal of effort and consideration has gone into creating the docs. This information is most likely to be clearer and more accurate than anything you or I might write in the moment.

Second, the content the has been put together by numerous contributors; consequently, it encompasses the knowledge and experience of all of them. This breadth is important; it means that the docs can answer questions that any single individual couldn't.

Third, referring people to the docs instills the idea of using the documentation as primary reference in the user community. This empowers users to find their own answers, which I think you'd agree will give them greater understanding of GnuCash's capabilities and limitations.

Finally, referring readers to the docs can result in better docs, as each reader can bring their eyes and experience to them and offer their suggestions for improvement.
Best,David

  On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 11:26, Adrien Monteleone<adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:   David,

I agree, a reading of the Guide would have helped significantly.

Perhaps I should have refrained from personal assistance and commentary and simply pointed to the relevant sections. That is likely the better approach, especially since the ‘work’ in explaining is already done.

Regards,
Adrien