[GNC] GnuCash V3.5 Not Used By My GnuCash Database

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 18 20:08:58 EDT 2019

I don’t know if you even had 3.4 installed unless you knew for a fact you were once running it. (If that is the case, you might have earlier removed 2.6.19)

It looks like you downloaded the 3.5 source. (you mentioned it contained directories and files)

You can build from that source download using the wiki instructions, or use the pre-built deb packages as Colin suggests. If you choose not to build from source, you can safely delete that gnucash-3.5 directory.

Do not delete the files ending in .gnucash. The first one `MyNamed.gnucash` is your main data file. The last one `MyNamed.gnucash.20190304124553.gnucash` is a backup file. The other two are log files as their file extension suggests.

Keeping the logs and the backup is optional. Just don’t delete the main data file.

I would still run the dpkg -l command to make sure there are no other versions on your system before installing 3.5:

sudo dpkg -l | grep gnucash

(no response and a return to the command prompt means nothing else concerning gnucash is installed)

You can also perform a:

which gnucash

to see if the system thinks an executable with that name is located anywhere, but I don’t expect it will find anything.

Regards,
Adrien