[GNC] Return of Capital

cicko alen.siljak at gmx.com
Sat Apr 20 03:26:36 EDT 2019

John Ralls-2 wrote
> That's an interesting way of handling an RoC. The only downside for those
> of us with different tax rates depending on how long we hold an investment
> is that it resets the purchase date, and if we're not paying attention
> might make one think at tax time that the $500 RoC was really a capital
> gain.

True. However, to shed some light here... The suggestion for the Return of
Capital transaction is related to ledger-cli. It tracks lot dates/tags
separately, which helps in calculation of the capital gains.
What I'm trying to do here is massage my GnuCash data to minimise the
adjustments necessary when I export the data.
The background is that I'm trying out ledger reporting (this is what it's
good at) on top of my GnuCash book. The start has not been smooth due to the
few cases with Return of Capital and Capital Gains, where $ amounts are
flowing from a commodity account. Once I resolve that, I would finally be
able to run some normal queries on top of the real data and hopefully
automate those with scripts.
So, if someone else is interested, piecash can export GC3 book in ledger
format fairly smoothly. But the differences in accounting methods must be
taken into consideration, as this case illustrates. I will try to make
scripts that make the necessary adjustments as a part of the export process.
I know this all may sound tedious but one look at the Scheme code makes it
all worthwhile. ;)

And now onto those capital gains records. :S