[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 17:14:37 EDT 2019

 Cricket Onebit,

I would suggest running an extended test possibly by importing one or two
month's data into GnuCash then running both GnuCash and Quicken in parallel
for a couple of months. It is easy to start over if you decide to do it a
different way.

Generally, GnuCash does not have any limits that most user could
encounter.  Often, because of differences with Quicken some things are
easier to fix in Quicken before exporting and other things are easier to
fix in GnuCash after importing, and it depends a lot on what your data
looks like, so it is not easy to give general rules.

David Carlson

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 3:19 PM Cricket Onebit <cricketbeautiful at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm preparing to convert 14,000 transactions from Quicken. It's a bit
> overwhelming, and I've put it off for years.
>
> 1. Can I move child accounts to other parents, and promote / demote them? I
> want to make some major changes, mostly Clothes-kid1 to kid1-clothes. It's
> one more excuse for delaying the move.
>
> 2. Is there a length limit for descriptions, memos, notes, etc? I might use
> keywords in those fields to duplicate Quicken's tags. A quick experiment
> shows I can report on "transactions containing #tagone." Yay!
>
> 3. Is there a problem if I have transactions under each level of account,
> such as Car, Car-Ford, and Car-Ford-Accident? I vaguely remember reading
> I'd have to change some report settings.
>
> Just point me to the right bit of the manual if the details are there. It's
> a good manual but there's a lot in it.
>
> ++++
>
> New eyes found:
>
> The link to search Nabble is broken.
> https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?idxinfo=gnucash-user . (I got there from
>
> (The link to Google gave posts from 2018, even though there are more recent
> ones with the word "Quicken". Not something GNUCash has any control over.)
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> +++
>
> Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed,
> But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need.
> -- Rudyard Kipling

David Carlson