[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

Cricket Onebit cricketbeautiful at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 22:10:37 EDT 2019

Somewhere I saw that most people find QIF works better, and that QIF is
similar to CSV. If my version of Quicken won't export to QIF, I'll try CSV.
There are too many variations of CSV for me to trust it entirely.

I might make one huge QIF, import it and save as GC, then make another QIF
just of recent transactions for actual use. That's a lot of work, though. I
asked a few days about chunking it by date. They suggested doing each
account separately. If I understand correctly, transfers between accounts
might show up as two transactions otherwise. I guess Quicken exports the
transaction twice, once in each direction. GC's matcher only checks against
transactions it's already saved.

It might be easier to just let "archive" migration file be huge, even if it
takes a few attempts to fix all the problems, then do another, smaller,
"active" migration.

Cricket / Sandy

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 20:39, nvsoar <nvsoar at charter.net> wrote:

> On 04/26/19 16:18, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 4:53 PM David Carlson <
> david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Strongly consider only moving one or two years data to GnuCash.
> >>
> > I agree. I found that I could import a lot more, but I found I was going
> > crazy trying to make everything look right, which ultimately seemed
> > pointless for things like long-ago closed bank accounts etc.
> >
> > Since I had been using Quicken since the 1990s I had a number of
> > "historical" transactions I MIGHT conceivably want to look up, so I
> > exported those and kept the (enormous) QIF files. Any time I want to
> find a
> > transaction I can just do a few searches through the QIF file and find
> the
> > transaction date and the amount. If I really really want to, I COULD
> create
> > a "historical" GnuCash book with the imported data and just ignore the
> odd
> > balances etc.
> >
> > (I'm looking through my data and found that I kept a complete QIF I
> > exported in 2000, and then another one I exported in 2007. I believe 2007
> > is when I gave up on Quicken for good, so my original GnuCash-only data
> was
> > based upon 2006 and 2007 transactions only.)
> >
> snip
>
> FWIW - if Quicken will export to a .csv file then I think I would
> download the entire Quicken file, and then import to GnuCash only those
> files that I need to refer to, and leave the rest as an archive in the
> .csv file.
> nvsoar

+++

Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed,
But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need.
-- Rudyard Kipling