[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 22:14:39 EDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 8:49 PM Cricket Onebit <cricketbeautiful at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The speed thing is disappointing. I thought 3.5 fixed that, but maybe not
> enough. I planned to save as XML to get going, since the docs say it's more
> stable, then try SQLite.

The "standard" XML files are quick enough for me, though as time goes on it
does take longer to load. I have never tried the database formats; the only
upside (at the moment) is they give you some additional nerdy reporting
options.

> QIF files are just text files, right, and human-readable? So I can use a
> text editor and search.

Yes, "human-readable," though not exactly comfortably readable. Export a
small file and have a look. You MAY find that not every text editor can
open the largest (multi-megabyte) files, though nowadays I suspect that's
less a problem than it was back in the 20th century. ;-)

> How easy is it to delete old transactions? (Or export recent ones to a new
> file?) That way I could migrate 10 years worth, so they're all in GC format
> rather than QIF, then use a smaller file going forward.

Unless it's been added in the last couple of releases, GnuCash itself
doesn't have that facility. At best you can easily "prune" entire accounts,
OR start from scratch. At this moment in your GnuCash history your best bet
is to export date ranges from Quicken.