[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

Cricket Onebit cricketbeautiful at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 23:03:24 EDT 2019

> You WILL almost certainly see some strangeness in the imported data
> because Quicken doesn't strictly enforce balanced transactions as GnuCash
> does. When you're just dealing with a few years, you may find it easy to go
> back and fix the odd strange transactions in Quicken, and start the import
> over from scratch.

That's my first choice. I already checked for uncategorized transactions,
and will remove the few stock purchases. Any other risky types?

It seems like I started with the default GnuCash accounts, and worked from
> a printout of my Quicken accounts and categories, and created them in
> GnuCash beforehand. That made the transfer happen much faster because I
> wasn't creating new accounts as I went along.

I remember letting GnuCash get the accounts from the QIF worked 2 years
ago. It was other things that didn't work. That method might affect its
ability to catch transfers. (Another reason I prefer double-entry
accounting. One transaction with many accounts, rather than two
transactions.)

> You might also try exporting just however many years of data from a single
> bank account at a time until you have them all. Unless I'm mis-remembering,
> I think the only places you'll have duplicate transactions will be those
> places where you transferred money BETWEEN the bank accounts.

There are a lot of transfers, about 10 a month, with credit cards, mortgage
and car loan, and cash withdrawals.

I think I'm ready for the next set of tests, hopefully in a few days.

Good luck!

Thanks! If the program is as good as the community, I'll be very happy.

+++

Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed,
But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need.
-- Rudyard Kipling