[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Apr 27 12:03:51 EDT 2019

> On Apr 26, 2019, at 4:28 PM, Cricket Onebit <cricketbeautiful at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Also, for this particular example, I’d opt for tags for each kid instead of accounts, see below about Cars.
>
> I didn't think GNUCash supported tags. I plan to use #tagone in a text field. That's one of the things I need to do in Quicken. Search for each transaction using a label, and put it in a text field. Problem: The text fields are short. Maybe I'll create accounts/categories for each tag, and add a $0.01 line. That will at least preserve the info. Then in GC edit again to put the tags in a text field and undo the $0.01 split. (Not $0 because I think Quicken ignores $0 lines.)

There’s no official ’tag’ support, but some reports let you filter based on text in certain fields and you can use regular expressions if you like.

> Does it also do that for a Transaction, Group by (sub-)account report? I use that one a lot. There's probably something close enough.

The Transaction Report does this by default. I currently have a report open that is tracking my expenses at a Festival this weekend. I reload the report each day and it show my transactions with sub-account totals for amounts spent on Food, Beer, tips, etc. Each transaction has the festival name in the Notes field and I’m using that as a ’tag’ filter.

> ++
>
> Enough stalling. Today's goal is to replace all the investment accounts with basic accounts. Apparently migrating investments isn't reliable. I won't lose any data because I haven't tracked investment details in Quicken in years. Also create appropriate income/loss accounts for the investment accounts so the year-end balances work. And, of course, lots of pre/post change reports to catch problems.

Work on a copy of the export and if something blows up, you won’t lose anything.

Regards,
Adrien