[GNC] Changing account tree on large database

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Apr 27 12:26:12 EDT 2019

> On Apr 26, 2019, at 9:49 PM, Cricket Onebit <cricketbeautiful at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 22:14, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 8:49 PM Cricket Onebit <cricketbeautiful at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The speed thing is disappointing. I thought 3.5 fixed that, but maybe not
>>> enough. I planned to save as XML to get going, since the docs say it's more
>>> stable, then try SQLite.
>>>

>> The "standard" XML files are quick enough for me, though as time goes on
>> it does take longer to load. I have never tried the database formats; the
>> only upside (at the moment) is they give you some additional nerdy
>> reporting options.
>>

> Don't tempt me. I've spent enough hours learning "just enough" of
> half-a-dozen languages for various projects that never quite did what I
> wanted.

Using the Sqlite backend I get one file that I can either use an sqlite viewer/query editor on, or using piecash, query directly for any custom report I want that isn’t offered by GnuCash. And I don’t have to mess with a MySQL db server. (which is fine, but if you don’t really *need* to...)

I also get instant saves as I enter each transaction so no waiting around while it writes that massive file back to disk every 10 minutes or so.

Let that temptation sink in.

Regards,
Adrien