[GNC] Quicken import and duplicate records

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 30 03:46:41 EDT 2019

Hi Priit

I hope the import was successful. The hard part is now going thyrough and
checking and correcting the errors that have crept in. David Carlson's
comment re the handling of duplicate transactions is in aprt why small batch
imports are generally recommended and processing one account at a time. Bets
approach is probably to print out periodic balance sheets and similar
reports from Quicken. If you can open both side by side using the GnuCash
reconcile process
(https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/cbook-reconacct1.html) may
be useful to find and correct  duplications and errors.

When you import records from one account that have transactions to a second
account in GnuCash both the debit and credit splits are created to each of
those accounts and then when you import the second account, the matcher
process should normally identify transactions in the second import which
were already created in the first import and flag them as duplicates, but if
it doesn't, it will duplicate the previous transaction.

The QIF import does not appear to use the same matching process that the OFX
and CSV importers use which I am more familiar with but I haven't checked to
code to see whether this is actually the case.

When i first moved to GnuCash, I imported a few years worth of back data
using CSV exports from MYOB which i had used previously. I imported the
previous year first setting the opening balances from the closing balances
from MYOB for the previous period. I then worked backwards importing a year
at a time, resetting the opening balances and reconciling.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens