[GNC] Club membership fees and charitable contributions - Business Features or Assets?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Aug 2 03:34:50 EDT 2019

I’m not sure about keeping track of member donations in an Asset account.

Sure, the donation is an asset of the club. That would go to Cash or Checking, etc.

But the other side of that should be some sort of Income account I would think.

With the Business Features you could set up each member as a ‘customer’ and use the Customer Report to tally their period/annual donations.

This would also allow you to easily track the annual subscriptions if you ‘invoice’ them. (you don’t need to send actual invoice, just create and post them)

You can easily duplicate invoices to reduce typing. You can also do some quick duplication in a spreadsheet, then import this data as ‘invoices’ into GnuCash, reducing even more work.

From a manual perspective, you’d have to create either another level of tracking, perhaps using manual AR entries against donation income.

Work reduction could be accomplished with scheduled transactions, though you’d still need one for each member. There is also the ‘duplicate transaction’ function that might come in handy.

As for reporting with manual transactions, you could utilize the Transaction Report and its filters to tailor the report to your needs.

Finally, on the spreadsheet end, you could reduce data entry duplication and opportunity for errors using sheet/cell references to a master sheet/workbook. The master would get updated either upon opening or manually using an ‘update links’ function. (exists in Libreoffice Calc, I’m sure Excel has something similar)

There are some people using GnuCash for non-profits on this list, hopefully they’ll see this and chime in with tips and pitfalls to watch out for.

Regards,
Adrien