[GNC] Last month's transactions included in Reconciliation Report

Art Chimes artsonline at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 14:42:41 EDT 2019

Thanks for the responses.

Adrien asks, "why are you wanting this report?" Partly it's about
having another piece of a paper trail, but mainly because it's what
I've been doing in Quicken for a couple of decades.

To be clear, this is just about my personal finances: checking
account, credit cards, and so on. Nothing that will be audited, nor
likely requested by an accountant. What I am used to
seeing in a reconciliation report is (a) a list of cleared
transactions for the period covered by the current statement, the one
I have just reconciled; and (b) a list of transactions that remain
uncleared after the reconciliation process; and (c) various totals and
summaries.

Item (b) would ideally consist of transactions since the statement
closed, an uncashed check I wrote two months ago, etc.

When I specify a date range, Gnucash wants to look at both the
transaction date AND the reconciliation date. So I am getting two
months' transactions in the report, one of which is just clutter and
will duplicate the prior month's reconciliation report.

If my latest statement includes 15 transactions between July 1 and
July 31, when it closes, that time period will include the day (e.g.
July 3) that I reconcile the June statement. But the June transactions
are history; they have no business in the July reconciliation report.
I'm not an accountant for sure, but if there is a reason for including
in the report the June transactions *reconciled* in July along with
the actual July transactions, I don't see it.

The suggestion that I filter for a date range (e.g. July 1-31) and for
reconciled transactions, then generate an Account Report would give me
a list of current reconciled transactions, but not the unreconciled
ones. (Yes, I could generate a separate report with a filter, but that
is an inelegant workaround, in my opinion.)

Regarding Christopher's reference to "standard accounting practice," I
want to emphasize that I don't know what is standard, just what seems
logical, familiar, and useful to me. Nevertheless, I am going to
follow his suggestion and file a bug report suggesting an Enhancement
to the reconciliation report dialog.

Thanks,
Art