[GNC] Proposed change of "U+R" and "R" in the Import main matcher.

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Aug 7 08:01:32 EDT 2019

Adrien,

Even if it has been reconciled in another program I think you would want to
check the reconciliation to make sure the importer had imported everything
completely. The reconciliation process should be very quick if the import
has been correct.

I think as Geert mentoins in another post, GnuCash data can be exported with
the reconcilation status and in that case one might want to import the
reconcilation status. Eg if shifting historical records to another book to
keep the file size small for those who do that. The purpose of the U+R and R
in the import matcher itself is really to indicate the satus of the match
and AFAIK it doesn't even use the reconciled status information in a
transaction in the matching process, at least in the code I have looked
through so far.

It was why I initially proposed U+M and M as an alternative to make clear
that it really is the status of the match and nothing to do with the actual
reconciliataion status of the transaction. Even using "U+C" and "C" in the
importer could in principle lead new users to confusing the status of the
match with the reconciliation status. In the case where the status of an
imported transaction was reconciled, it may make some sense to override the
"c" setting on import. But since reconciliation is about checking the data
in the book it is being imported to, I personally would prefer that it be
imported as cleared and then set to reconciled in a proper reconciliation
process not the  import process which might contain errors.

Another option could be to have an option to either import or ignore the
reconciliation status on import if it exists in the import as a future
enhancement.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens