[GNC] "Account Report" randomly chooses one of the splits

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Aug 9 05:49:00 EDT 2019

I never understood the utility of the Single Transaction report, but mine seems to work correctly. (3.6 on MacOS)

In my case, I ran the report with one transaction highlighted in my Cash account, it reported that info showing me two debits to AP and one credit to Cash.

Total Credits (cash) were correct, but this was a case of only having one split. It didn’t show total debits, but since I ran this from the Cash account...

So I tried to Jump to the AP account and run the same report there, with the same transaction highlighted. Interestingly, GnuCash delivered up a Vendor Report instead! (which looked correct as far as I can tell)

Then I tried another transaction which had both a debit and credit to cash amongst other splits. The Single Transaction Report was still correct. This wasn’t from a previous Find operation, so I tested that too and got the same result. (with both a Total Debits and Total Credits line reported because there were splits for each to Cash)

Then I tried an expense account that had multiple splits and that also reported the correct total debits *for that expense account*. Total debits for the entire transaction were greater, but I was only asking it to give me info for that single transaction from a Find operation I conducted while in an expense account. (not from the CoA tab) It made sense to me that ’Total Debits’ was only with respect to that expense account.

If you were in the Food account and ran the report, you’d get $10. If you were in the Sales Tax account and ran the report, you should get $1.

But if you want to know how much you spent with Amazon last year, why not run a Find on “Amazon” as matching the Description and run a regular Account Report? (not single transaction) The Single Transaction report is not for a date range or even more than one transaction. (as the name implies)

You could also run a Transaction Report which would allow you to get breakdowns by Month or other dimension of info if you like. You can also create custom filters on that report.

Regards,
Adrien