[GNC] Gnucash fails to run after upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 9 06:45:15 EDT 2019

Op vrijdag 9 augustus 2019 12:07:33 CEST schreef James E:
> Q dpkg-query -L gnucash
>
> A The attached file shows the output at the terminal.
>   gnucash_fail_20190806_05.odt
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t376064/gnucash_fail_20190806_05.
> odt>

Ok, I see where it goes wrong.

The source guile files have extension ".scm" and the compiled guile files have
extension ".go". However it seems like on Ubuntu 16.04 guile is looking for a
compiled file by extension ".scm.go" rather than ".go". As gnucash ships only
".go" files, guile won't find what it's looking for and starts autocompiling
all files to ".scm.go" files.

I'm not sure what this is happening exactly, though I vaguely remember this to
be a bug in certain older versions of guile.

There's not much that can be done from the gnucash project side. Perhaps the
Ubuntu maintainer could request an updated version of guile although I don't
know how package updates are handled for LTS releases.

Regards,

Geert