[GNC] GNUCash Version 3.6.1 not working on OSX.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Aug 9 16:40:25 EDT 2019

Yes. App Store packages get way more scrutiny and must be sandboxed. Web downloaded programs get a warning dialog  that goes something like "You downloaded foo from the web on XXXX. Are you sure you want to run it? [OK] [Cancel][Go to web site]". That's separate from Gatekeeper verification.

Catalina is more paranoid still: Apple has added a notarization requirement. Un-notarized apps fail Gatekeeper and System Preferences' Security and Privacy tab has only two Gatekeeper radio buttons, App Store and App Store and identified developers. Notarizing involves uploading the signed app in a signed DMG to Apple where it gets some automated checks to ensure that the app is correctly signed. Apple registers its digital signature and issues an additional crypto certificate that gets attached to the app bundle.

Regards,
John Ralls