[GNC] Selective Export of Transactions omitting sub-accounts

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Aug 13 03:48:00 EDT 2019

I have a somewhat detailed asset tree, but I did a test on a subset of it.

I have the following:

Assets:Current Assets:Currency

And under that I have:

Cash in Wallet
Coin Jar
Envelopes

The latter was for an experiment trying to shoehorn the envelope method into GnuCash. (nutshell - it doesn’t really work without lots of effort)

‘Coin Jar’ has some sub-accounts and one of them has more subs.

I planned to do two exports as a test:

1 - Cash in Wallet & Coin Jar including all sub accounts
2 - Envelopes

This should fulfill the criteria since these are at least 4 levels down in the Asset tree. If one or both fails, but an export of the entire Asset tree works, then I’d say I’ve reproduced your bug.

I stopped on the first test because I got a CSV with all transactions from every account in that part of the tree.

Note, each transaction appears only once. So where there are moves between ‘Cash in Wallet’ and Coin Jar sub-accounts, (that one is a placeholder) they are not duplicated later in the file when the Coin Jar subs are listed. This makes sense because otherwise a re-import would result in duplicate transactions.

It just so happens that I had some unique transactions in each and every sub-account that didn’t involve any of the others so every account was represented.

It is possible that in your case, duplicates would have resulted, so that is why you only saw the one account.

Or else in your case, you found a bug that I can’t reproduce.

Regards,
Adrien