[GNC] Import of multi split transactions

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Aug 18 04:12:37 EDT 2019

Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 22:07:46 CEST schreef Philippe A.:
> Le sam. 17 août 2019 à 12:35, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> a
>
> écrit :
> > Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 17:33:44 CEST schreef Philippe A.:
> > > I have generated csv multi splits for the purchase of shares. For
> > > example
> > > say I have the following split for the purchase of 10 shares at 5$ each:
> > >
> > > Date;Description;Action;Commodity;Account;Deposit;Price
> > > 2019-01-07;"purchase";Buy;CURRENCY::CAD;share_accnt;10;5.00
> > > ;;;;cash_accnt;-50.00;1
> > >
> > > Putting the nb share (10) as the deposit amount feels very counter
> > > intuitive to me. I wonder for what reason I can't put 50$ as the deposit
> > > amount and let gnucash calculate the share price?
> > >
> > > I consider money amount and nb share the two most important numbers that
> > > must absolutely match my statement. When I enter transactions manually,
> > > always key them in and let gnucash calculate the price. Is there a way
> > > arrange splits to obtain the same behavior?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Import of stocks or transactions involving multiple currencies is not yet
> > possible I'm afraid. There are various bug reports documenting the
> > problems.
>
> My case involves a single currency. Remove the commodity column from my
> example and everything still holds true.

Indeed. It still involves a stock.

I should have read your question to the end (my apologies for jumping to the
gun): there is currently no way to import number of shares + money amount in
the CSV importer. It's hard wired to support number of shares + price only. I
agree this is suboptimal as it may lead to unwanted rounding errors.

Regards,

Geert