[GNC] Bookkeeping for a club's charity account - use business features?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Aug 24 10:41:06 EDT 2019

On 8/23/2019 10:59 AM, Wm via gnucash-user wrote:

>> For example, the price of the meals at meetings is rounded up to the
>> nearest pound, and the remainder is earmarked for “Charity Choice”.
>> Not all members attend every meeting, and some members skip the meal
>> and make a token payment to Charity Choice. There are several such
>> income headings to deal with.
>
> Sounds like crap to me.
>
> Think about this: I went to dinner with my mates, said it cost more
> than it did and said the difference was for charity.  Would you
> believe me?
>
>> The difficulty is that it must be possible to document each
>> individual member’s contributions over the year in order to make a
>> Gift Aid claim to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), which
>> tops up the members’ contributions by 25%.
>
> OK, it sounds to me like you're being asked to cheat HMRC.  Are you
> prepared to do that?

You know all that much, both about the charitable components (tax
deductible, need to be reported separately) of organizations that while
non-profit (tax exempt) are not "deductible" << for example, a
"fraternal" society -- what this is >> and specifically what is required
in the UK?

What was asked for here seemed perfectly above board to me. Besides
being treasurer of 501(c)3's I also belong to organizations that are not
deductible BUT do sometimes make charitable donations. In some cases,
that is a lot of what these organizations do beyond their social
functions << Lions, Shriners, etc. >>  I do not know how they report
even here in the US let alone in the UK.

Michael D Novack