[GNC] Bookkeeping for a club's charity account - use business features?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Aug 25 10:55:22 EDT 2019

On 8/25/2019 3:25 AM, Michael Hendry wrote:

First (and an important question)
     Is your organization om the cash or accrual basis? You should
always state that. The business features of gnucash only work for
accrual. And I see that your organization does pledges. Here in the US,
pledges ARE receivable,but only according to the terms of the pledge <<
thus if a person pledged X a year for five years, only the X for the
current year due NOW >> So pledge accounting will require extra work
unless all your pledges are simple, immediate pledges.

But you can easily have a second set of books to keep and report on "by
member" stuff, and if using the business features, can invoice. Note
though that  at least in the US "membership dies" are not really
receivables <<you are legally allowed to drop out of a voluntary
organization at any time -- organizational rules about "demits", etc.
apply only if you want to rejoin>> However many organizations even cash
basis [prefer being able to send out "statements" (invoices to members)

Notice that I misunderstood.What I was suggesting was if you had to
supply to the government the CORRECT member name for the donations, not
just that it had to be SOME member's name. The latter is of course far
simpler in terms of record keeping << I was picturing the former because
possibly there were by person limits >>

Michael

PS: I do NOT attempt to get gnucash to produce reports in their final
form. Easier to export full reports and then copy into a document that
gets edited to remove extraneous detail, insert annotations, etc.

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.