[GNC] Bookkeeping for a club's charity account - use business features?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Aug 26 08:39:59 EDT 2019

On 8/26/2019 6:49 AM, Greg Feneis wrote:
> Michael, I use GnuCash for my cash business and don't have any trouble with
> it.  I think the only trouble you may have is with report generation.
>
> Kind regards, Greg Feneis
> (Pixel 3)

Well yes, it is precisely that, adjustments necessary to convert
"accrual" to "cash" for reports. Not THAT hard to do for those
experienced in bookkeeping (the old way) and if doesn't need to be done
all that often. If quarterly of annually only, I might do it that way.

But a business is different than a club/church/charity  and it is only
for the latter sort of org that I am willing to help in this way. The
reason I am suggesting "a second set of books" JUST to send invoices
(member statements) is that in my experience possibly the majority of
collections will be "not as billed".

Take a church/synagogue as am example. The "membership dues" might be
set as X, and perhaps half the congregation sends in that amount. The
other half, people contact the treasurer (or an abatement committee) and
say "sorry,we just can't afford that much" and they get an "abatement"
<< an arrangement to pay what they can >> In other words, the total of
"receivables" is NEVER going to be close to what comes in.

Would you, as a business, be so casual about "not had to adjust: is HALF
of you invoices involved adjustment to "bad debt"? << in the
organizational case, "abated" >>

The point is, the second set of books I am talking about is JUST for
sending out "statements". You don't necessarily have to record there
when payments come in unless you want to be able to send out follow-up
statements. There is an argument for NOT doing it. If "abated amount" is
put in and statement sent out again (for the lesser amount) that is ALL
you would get. And of course might not even get that. But if the person
is told by the treasurer or abatement committee ,"look, pay half you
can" you MIGHT end up getting more. Usually the board wants to know how
many (what percentage of our congregation is abated) and how much
collected from all who are abated (for predicting total membership dues
for budgeting) but NOT "who is abated and by how much" << that is
private, confidential >> Note that is you are recording these incoming
payments into the (real/main) books on cash basis and that is the
information needed just have to have "membership dues" and under it two
child accounts "full membership dues" and "abated membership dues".

Michael D Novack