[GNC] No Suitable backend was found

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Aug 27 06:43:21 EDT 2019

Hmm, if you kept backup files, you could go back through previous versions to
determine where it went wrong.
And then compare the good backup with your bad file.

It may also be useful to doublecheck the file you try to open really is an xml
file (though probably compressed).

To do so, first check whether your copy of gnucash is configured to compress
xml files via
Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Compress files
If that's not set, try opening the failing gnucash file with a plain text
editor like Wordpad, Notepad+, BBEdit,... (Not with an office suite though).

If it is compressed you first have to decompress it with something like 7zip.
You may have to change the extension before 7zip will decompress it. For
example name your file something.gnucash.gz and then open it with 7zip.

Once decompressed you can again check whether the decompressed version looks
like proper xml. And you could even check if gnucash will open the
uncompressed xml file afterwards. There have been compression problems in the
past and since you last used gnucash 2.6.7 you may be experiencing that.

Regards,

Geert