[GNC] Bookkeeping for a club's charity account - use business features?

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 06:30:47 EDT 2019

> On 27 Aug 2019, at 08:20, elvis <elvis at dogonfire.com> wrote:
>

>>> If #1 one, that is quite messy, yes, and you’ll need lots of manual transactions and some sort of searchable/filterable tag system as I described previously. (to avoid hundreds or thousands of accounts and sub-accounts)
>>>
>>> But if #2, then the business features can handle that easily with invoice line items posted to Income accounts for each destination and assigning those invoices to  individual customer accounts. No need for the individual member account(s) in the Income tree at all. GnuCash will track each customer's pledged (invoiced) amounts as well as payments. The gift portion *might* be a little trickier, but I think it can be achieved by the expense vouchers feature. (since they operate as sort of a ‘chargeback’) I’ll have to investigate.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien
>>>
> Hi Michael,
>
> This is how I would do it. I'm assuming you have around 30 people to account for.
>
> Make up all your accounts and sub accounts and sub sub accounts and cross accounts.
>
> Have a transaction in each person's account with all the splits possible.
>
> Each dinner copy the last transaction and alter the amounts. Maybe 20 seconds each so you are looking at about 15 minutes to update the whole.
>

> I'm assuming your primary document is some kind of piece of paper your members fill out. If you have a spreadsheet on entry you would just massage it and import it.
>
> By the time you much around with business features you might as well just copy transactions.
>

> Lawrence

Thanks, Lawrence.

The difficulty this suggestion doesn’t solve is in generating a report listing Gift-Aid-eligible totals for each member - the identity of the contributing member in each income account tree is at the twig level:

Income:Destination1:MemberA
Income:Destination2:MemberA
Income:Destination3:MemberA
etc

all need to be picked up and added together for each destination and each member.

The Customer-based model would ease that aspect.

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a way of creating regularly repeated invoices as Scheduled Transactions, but I’m currently thinking along the lines of creating an invoice for each member for the default amounts at the beginning of the year, and then duplicating these invoices, one for each member for each meeting. After each meeting, I would edit each invoice if necessary (to deal with absences and variations in contributions) then post and pay them.

This way the Destination accounts don’t need children and the annual Gift Aid Report can be populated from Customer Reports.

I’ll do some experiments…

Michael