[GNC] 2 Questions About Debit Cards

Haim Roman haim.roman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 05:05:06 EDT 2019

Hi.  I'm new to GnuCash and to bookkeeping/accounting in general.  I have 2
questions about debit cards.

(1) I made my debit card account a Liability account, as I did with my
credit card accounts.  In the GnuCash archives, someone wrote a debit card
should be an Access account.  Is that correct?

(2) I envisioned debit card transactions as single transactions with 3
stages:  Checking to Debit Card to Expense (yes, I have different expense
accounts).
But I'm beginning to think that it should be 2 transactions: [a] Checking
to Debit Card, [b]  Debit Card to Expense.
The 1st deposits into the debit card account, and the 2nd withdraws from
it.
Is that correct?

Thanks