[GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Dec 4 10:45:41 EST 2019

3.7 Should have overwritten 3.3 when you dragged it over as they are both named Gnucash.app. MacOS should have asked you what to do, and you had the option to ‘keep both’ which you may have chosen.

I’ve run 2 versions back and forth before, so that shouldn’t be an issue. But if you don’t need 3.3, then just remove it and see if that helps.

Sometimes, it won’t launch after the first time the security warning pops up, but it should open after that even with a left-click in /Applications or your Dock. (or Launchpad)

Try running from the command line in Terminal.app and see if there is any interesting output:

/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash

Also, try launching with Console.app open and see if any warnings or errors show up related to GnuCash. You can check Activity Monitor.app to see if it is still shown as running when it ‘disappears’.

Finally, do you happen to use more than one monitor? Have you at some point set up a second monitor? (even if it is not connected now) Some users have noted that the app can open on a different physical screen for some reason and that it is indeed running, just not where they are looking for it. (on that note, make sure it isn’t in another workspace via MissionControl. You can assign apps to workspaces and it may have opened on one that isn’t current, though it should have switched to that space when it launched)

Regards,
Adrien