[GNC] How to record personal owe to me and how to record equity?

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 7 20:25:05 EST 2019

On 2019-12-06 04:10, TFFinances wrote:
> How to record personal owe to me and how to record equity?
>
> If my dad owe me money, how will i record it?
>
> what would the debit and credit be ?
>
> How to record equity ?? equity debit and what is credit?

Hi, Terence!

When your dad lends you money, then:

Debit: Cash (or a bank account)
Credit: Loans Payable

There's no change to equity because Assets and Liabilities increased by
the same amount.

When you make a payment on the loan:

Debit: Interest Expense
Debit: Loans Payable
Credit: cash (or a bank account)

You don't make any transaction directly intro an equity account. But if
you run a Balance Sheet, that interest expense will reduce your Retained
Earnings, which is an  equity account that GnuCash creates automatically
as part of that report.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
https://BrownMath.com