[GNC] [newbie] Import transactions - column for both withdrawal and deposit?

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Fri Dec 13 14:25:44 EST 2019

On 12/13/19 12:43 AM, Anton Hughes wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to import my bank transactions, and generally this is working
> well.
> However, in the import wizard, on Import Preview screen, I'm asked to
> "select a deposit or withdrawal column".
>
> The problem is, the csv provided from bank has a single column for both. A
> deposit is a positive number, and withdrawal is a negative number.
>
> Does it make significant difference if I chose either Deposit or Withdrawal?
>
> Thanks

Yes.  Deposits are for when positive values denote a Debit to that account.

Withdrawal is when positive values denote a Credit to the account.

Debit accounts are:  Assets and Expenses

Credit accounts are:  Liabilities, Equity, and Income

So, if you pick the wrong one, you will find all your transactions being
reversed!

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com