[GNC] Failed building Gnucash 3.7

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 18 22:57:45 EST 2019

Hi Mike,
I assume you are using the downloaded tarball and not a download from the
github repository as the latter requires autogen.sh to be run before running
cmake.

I have never used the checkinstall to install GnuCash so can't comment but
it appears to do a make install and maintain records for the uninstall that
dpkg can use.

GnuCash maintains its own install_manifest.txt in the build directory and
the "make uninstall" does a complete uninstall of all system locations but
does not uninstall user preference locations in $HOME/.local/share/gnucash.
It does however require that you keep a copy of the source and build
directories. Cmake does set the default to /usr/local so that should not be
the problem.

You need to run "make" with no target in the build directory after having
run cmake and then "sudo make install" to do the actual install to
/usr/local. I don't know enough about checkinstall to know if it does the
separate make run to build the libraries so I would perhaps try doing a
"make" with no arguments in the build directory and then perhaps try the
checkinstall.  There is also a "make check" argument that will check and
build the libraries and then run the unit tests.

I get a failure  on test-date-facilities  with "make check" but that does
not stop GnuCash3.7 from building and installing.

I've attached the output from "make"  GCMake3_7.txt
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/GCMake3_7.txt>  . You
should see a similar output on the terminal while running the bare make
command.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens