[GNC] v3.8 - Unable to save to database message - all accounts zero

brob2684 bennrobertson at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 30 14:39:55 EST 2019

Hi,

I just installed v3.8 on my Windows 10 machine (not sure exactly which
version I had previously, but it was at least v3.6). I save in the sqlite
format.

When I open my file, all the account have zero balances. Double-clicking on
an account brings up an empty register (i.e. no transactions). Closing the
account generates the message 'unable to save to database'.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. A google search got me to this post experiencing a similar error message:
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Unable-to-save-to-database-Build-ID-3-2-2018-06-24-td4702739.html.

2. I took a look at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile to find the
trace file on my system.

3. Took a look at the trace file. It had lots of errors like this

/* 06:14:22 ERROR <gnc.backend.dbi>
[GncDbiSqlConnection::execute_select_statement()] Error executing SQL SELECT
* FROM transactions WHERE guid IN (SELECT DISTINCT tx_guid FROM splits WHERE
account_guid = 'fd3362e93c5d4c55977254dfd1ee61a9')
* 06:14:22 ERROR <gnc.backend.dbi> [error_handler()] DBI *error: 1: no such
table: splits*/

4. Opened up my sqlite gnucash file in a viewer and noted that the *splits*
table no longer exists, but there is a *splits_new* table.

My question is, is there any harm in just dropping the *_new* suffix to
rename the table back to *splits*?

brob2684