[GNC] Liabilities and Net Worth in Android app

Chris humming.bird at posteo.net
Fri Feb 1 04:27:29 EST 2019

Dear GnuCash community,

I recently installed the Android app for the first time and played
around with it. I noticed two things that I am not sure about and wanted
to ask your opinion/advice.

1. Liabilities

The scenario I am running is a simple credit card. If I use my credit
card and money is withdrawn from it then my understanding is that I am
supposed to use the "payment" option for these transactions. This
results in my liability balance being negative which also leads to the
correct behavior with the bank account it is coupled to: The said
"payment" amount booked from my credit card is subtracted from my bank
account in my assets. Please let me know if I made a mistake in my
assumptions thus far. If this is the correct behavior then this brings
me to my second point:

2. Report - Balance Sheet:

2.1
If the above is correct, then in the reports' balance sheet my assets
are shown in green (positive) and my liabilities in red (negative). But
this leads to my net worth being calculated as follows: Net Worth =
Assets - Liabilities with Liabilities being inserted with its negative
sign and therefore my net worth actually turns out to be adding my
assets and liabilities instead of subtracting them which is of course
not correct. Can someone confirm this?

2.2
The second point I want to make is the reports' balance sheet assets
calculation. I run the following scenario (I would add a screenshot but
the app does not allow for it):

Cash in Wallet:                        18.75
Checking Account:                   2,386.21
        - Subaccount_1:               2,264.04
        - Subaccount_2:               -83.42
             - Subaccount_2.1:       67.10
             - Subaccount_2.2        -150.52
         - Subaccount_3:              205.59
Savings Account:                     0

Total:                                       2,587.16

Clearly the calculated total amount is wrong. I do not know what is
calculated here from the information shown. Can someone confirm? The
correct answer for the total would be 2,404.96 which is also shown when
I look at my assets account.
(Side note: I would also recommend adding some visual distinction for
subaccounts in the report balance sheet. Currently all is shown plain
with the same indentation.)

Thanks for your help and time in advance!
Chris

PS: I was surprised that the mailing list server does not offer TLS. Of
course the list is open but it would be nice if in 2019 it would be
offered since people like me need to turn off "only send emails to TLS
enabled servers".