[GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 10:59:32 EST 2019

Adrien,

Most users are in the Windows 10 universe or in the Apple universe using
the 'standard' XML filetype on a computer that is less than 5 years old and
they probably could not tell you how much RAM they have or whether they
have a SSD, or whether it is normal for a file save to a network or cloud
service to take more than 10 or 20 seconds.  They do not have time to
experiment with ways to shave time or keystroke counts off of their
computer experience, they just think a clunky program isn't as modern as
one that flies across the screen.  They will choose the slick one without
considering whether it is technically 'better'.

On top of that, a lot of households are switching to Chromebooks or tablets
and smartphones and retiring their desktops along with their POTS phones.
They are automating their homes with light bulbs that change color on a
whim and posting their lives on Facebook.

While GnuCash is not trying to make a profit in this changing environment,
the GnuCash developers need to keep this in mind so that their dedication
and efforts remain relevant while they strive to eliminate deprecated code
and bugs along with occasionally introducing minor improvements.  We do not
thank them enough for that.

As long as people have bank accounts that they feel a need to monitor the
balance of or have small businesses that cannot afford a full time
treasurer there will be a place for GnuCash.

David Carlson