[GNC] Smarter dating of account reconcile

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:45:13 EST 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:22 PM David G. Pickett via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

>  The statement date is also in the past, so the default date is pretty
> much never right.  In a busy account, my date would match.  While the
> statement date might be later than the last included transaction, there is
> no value in the later date, since no transactions exist in the intervening
> time span.
>
> I date my checking transactions to the check date, not the clearing date,
> as that is the earliest date for the life of that check.
>
> I guess you are presenting some sort of CPA religion argument on dates in
> books, accounts.  I just want fewer motions in the process.

I do not see how the dates that are associated with any transactions are
useful in predicting the date of the next unreconciled statement beyond
possibly if there happens to be no unreconciled transactions with a posting
date before the predicted reconcile date the program might ask the user if
[s]he really wants to use that reconcile date.  That seems to me to be a
very weak reason to complicate things for the user.

If you are talking about whether to display 'new' unreconciled transactions
dated after the reconcile date in the reconcile dialog, it just seems very
easy to ignore them while reconciling and occasionally one of them should
have had an earlier date if the user forgot to backdate a missed
transaction when it was finally entered.

Since most banks post statements monthly on either the same date or very
close, it works fine for me as is except for the fourth month in
non-leap-years for some crazy reason.

David Carlson