[GNC] How to handle bounced check

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Feb 4 18:18:47 EST 2019

> On Feb 4, 2019, at 4:32 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Back to the original question: I think gnucash will try its best to keep you
> from adding a reverse payment to an already paid invoice. So what you did via
> manual lot manipulation is probably the closest you can get to that outcome.
>
> There is however yet another way to see this: if the check bounced it didn't
> really pay for the invoice to start with.
>
> So you could decouple the payment from the invoice (the easiest way is by
> unposting and reposting the invoice). Then presuming you want to keep record
> of the fact that you received a check, you can keep the payment around and
> directly credit it via the Process Payment dialog to indicate it bounced. That
> is, you can select the payment only in that dialog and have gnucash "pay" for
> that payment, which is to say gnucash would refund that payment.

Thanks for all the help, I learned a number of things.  What I ended up doing is use the “Add Reversing Transaction” command on the payment.  Somewhat to my surprise this did pretty much what I wanted to do.  It added a “reversed by” slot to the payment transaction and decoupled it from the invoice.  This left the invoice unpaid.  I created a new invoice for the late fee and used the customer’s replacement check to pay both the original invoice and this new one.  This seems to make the books reflect reality fairly well.  My main problem was that I had forgotten about the "Add Reversing Transaction” command so didn’t think to try it.

           Mike