[GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Steve Cohen stevecoh2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 11:53:24 EST 2019

For two years something seemed not quite right about the use of scroll
bars in Gnucash register windows, but I always just "lived with it" in a
state of vague , not quite conscious annoyance.

I have finally put my finger on the problem.

When I click in the scroller and move my mouse, whenever the mouse
leaves the scroll bar area the display snaps back to where it was before
the scroll operation.  I initially tried to carefully keep the mouse
within the scroll bar area, and that does prevent the display from
snapping back - but my new ephiphany is this:  If I do manage not to
stray from the bounds of the scroll bar before releasing the mouse
button, then the display stays where my scrolling action left it BUT,
the moment I subsequently move the mouse out of the scroll bar area, the
display snaps to its previous position.  In particular this makes it
impossible to edit an entry that was out of the visible scrolling area
but became visible after scrolling, as it is gone before I can click it.
  The only way to get to a row not visible is by using the arrow keys or
PgUp, PgDown.  Ironically, pressing those keys does move the scroller.

I am running GNUCash version 3.900, which I built from source on
2018-06-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.

This is highly irritating and non-standard behavior, I think.  Other
apps do not handle scrolling this way, such as the Thunderbird Mail
inbox, Libre Office Calc, etc.  I was not able to find a setting that
would govern this behavior.  Do others experience this, or is it a bug?