[GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:02:27 EST 2019

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 20:17, Steve Cohen <stevecoh2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/5/19 2:04 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> > GTK3 as default rather than GTK2.  I think those scroll bars first
> > appeared there but they seem to be becoming as fashionable as useless
> > 'antique' bathroom sinks.
> >

> While I appreciate and think I agree with the thrust of your comment,
> I'm not actually understanding what you mean.  Are you saying that GTK3
> renders scrollbars useless?  And why does GnuCash seem to be unique in
> how it handles this (at least among the applications I use)?

This is yet another red herring.  I have never seen the symptom you
describe and I have been using Gnucash on Ubuntu for years.

I think it would be worth eliminating the Wayland issue (though I don't
think it is likely to be the cause). Wayland is planned to be a replacement
for the X windowing s/w but it isn't really ready for general use yet. I
don't remember exactly what the login screen looked like on 18.04, but if
you logout then on the panel with your user name there may be a settings
icon, or possibly an Ubuntu icon and if you click that it will give you
some selections.  If not there then on the screen where you enter your
password.  First see what is marked as selected already.  You want one that
says Ubuntu on X or maybe just Ubuntu, but doesn't mention Wayland.  If you
are not sure then come back with the options available.

Colin