[GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Feb 5 17:21:35 EST 2019

At Tue, 5 Feb 2019 15:08:37 -0600 David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was not trying to assign any blame or credit for the new scrollbars.
> IIRC I first saw one in a GTK3 application, and I was definitely upset by
> not having a page up page down function on my mouse.  If you have not seen
> that yet, you eventually will.

<begin semi-sarcastic mode>
*Part* of what is going on is the whole "touch screen" mania, coupled with a
bitofscroll-wheelmania.ManyUI people (the ones making design choices for
thevariouswidgetlibraries,includingGTK3), seem to feel that nobody really
is (should?) be using their mice to access scrollbars. They really should be
using their fingers on their touch screen (everybody is using a touch screen,
right? I mean clunky things like keyboards and mice are so arcane now). Or if
they still have a mouse, they are using their scroll wheel and not really
needing a scrollbar...
<end semi-sarcastic mode>

> David Carlson
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 3:02 PM Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> While I appreciate and think I agree with the thrust of your comment,
> >> I'm not actually understanding what you mean.  Are you saying that GTK3
> >> renders scrollbars useless?  And why does GnuCash seem to be unique in
> >> how it handles this (at least among the applications I use)?
> >>

> > This is yet another red herring.  I have never seen the symptom you
> > describe and I have been using Gnucash on Ubuntu for years.
> >
> > I think it would be worth eliminating the Wayland issue (though I don't
> > think it is likely to be the cause). Wayland is planned to be a replacement
> > for the X windowing s/w but it isn't really ready for general use yet. I
> > don't remember exactly what the login screen looked like on 18.04, but if
> > you logout then on the panel with your user name there may be a settings
> > icon, or possibly an Ubuntu icon and if you click that it will give you
> > some selections.  If not there then on the screen where you enter your
> > password.  First see what is marked as selected already.  You want one that
> > says Ubuntu on X or maybe just Ubuntu, but doesn't mention Wayland.  If you
> > are not sure then come back with the options available.
> >
> > Colin

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933