[GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:12:03 EST 2019

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Steve Cohen <stevecoh2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for this!
> On 1/28/19 1:55 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
> > Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released):
> > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
> >
> > And here are the three for 3.4-45:
> > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF

Refresh my memory please.   I believe these are complete packages
(tarballs?) containing everything needed to build your own version of
GnuCash.  One set is to build version 3.4, the current stable release, and
the other is to build version 3.4.5, the current development release which
will eventually be replaced by the next stable release 4.0?.  I am guessing
that there are three of each of them because they are directed toward
different current releases of Debian.  I have not downloaded them yet.

Maybe, (and this is where I get really fuzzy) each might also work in
certain releases derived from those Debian releases such as Ubuntu.

Further, I am not sure whether they will work in all distros or all of the
commonly used desktops.  Since I am just smart enough to shoot myself in
the foot, I will try one in VirtualBox and keep the data files isolated by
air gaps with USB keys.

I plan to re-read the instructions in https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
but I may still be missing critical steps, since this is my first try.  It
will take a couple of tries with whichever distro I decide to use before I
even get that running well enough to try building GnuCash, so it may take a
week or two to see results.  I am currently leaning toward Debian 9.7
Stretch or Debian testing Buster.  The latter may not even need this
building process.  If this all works out I have an old Dell tower that
could become my GnuCash machine.

Before I start, is this a viable plan?

David Carlson