[GNC] I just need a line feed

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Feb 8 04:25:55 EST 2019

Op donderdag 7 februari 2019 23:15:18 CET schreef David Carlson:
> I am faced with inserting linefeeds into OFX files at certain critical
> locations to make them more palatable to libofx.  In that context I have
> found that I can open them with LibreOffice, turn on Formatting Marks (Ctrl
> F10) then place the curser wherever I want a linefeed and press
> Shift-Enter.  Last, I need to be sure to save the file with a modified
> filename but the original suffix in text-only format.
>
> That is working for me.  Of course the linefeeds do need to be correctly
> placed for the application.

That's a completely different story :)

The OFX parser is not an html parser, though both are based on SGML in one way
or another. And the OFX parser has a bug causing it to misinterpret certain
tags. By sheer luck the bug is not triggered if that tag is on a line of its
own.

However the html parser has no bug. Html be definition ignores newlines in
textual data. The "\n" people refer to here is just a coder's representation
of that newline. So the html parser will ignore it.

In this case Derek offered the proper solution: use <br> instead.

Regards,

Geert