[GNC] Investment Accounts

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 17:29:54 EST 2019

David A,

David Cousens just listed all the things that could be trouble sources as
far as the setup of the account hierarchy is concerned.  From your original
message you have already verified most or all of those configurations
issues. You can review all of this in chapter 9 of the tutorial.

I am going to start with the next step which is the creation of the
purchase transactions and entry of prices into the price database.

I notice that SPAAX is a money market fund that is a special case.  It has
a special security type [mmf] at Finance.Yahoo for example because it
supposedly always has the same price $1.00 per share. GnuCash however does
not make a distinction.

When you set up SPAXX there were two steps. One is creating the SPAXX
[mutual fund] security account and the other is creating the sub-account
under the custodial brokerage account actually held at that broker on your
behalf. After you have completed both steps you can use the security editor
to review the properties of the security and the price editor where you can
review the price per share on various dates.  Both of these editors are
only accessible through the Tools menu.  For money market funds there is
not much to see but if you have many securities the need for these editors
becomes apparent.

After you have made a purchase transaction in the SPAAX account under the
brokerage account it should show the number of shares for each transaction
and a total number of shares you currently own, not a dollar amount.  This
will be apparent in your chart of accounts view.  You do not need to run a
report to see that.

David Carlson