[GNC] Problem with Splits

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Feb 11 14:07:58 EST 2019

Gareth,

Not sure exactly what you mean with respect to "a different heading."

As a general rule, I’d enter all transactions in the account the money is coming from.

So if you are entering an expense, open your cash or checking account that you are using to pay the expense, and enter it there.

If you are entering receipt of money, open the relevant income account and enter the transaction showing where the money went. (cash/checking/undeposited funds, etc.)

You can enter a transaction into any account, but by sticking to this workflow you can eliminate lots of confusion. You can also use the General Journal but that too can introduce confusion if you aren’t careful.

I’d also highly recommend turning on Double Line mode and Transaction Journal under the View Menu. This will show all information for the transaction at all times and will help you to learn what GnuCash is doing as well as get a handle on double-entry accounting. (it will also help if you use Formal Accounting labels, which will make all accounts show the debit/credit columns rather than various labels which depend on account type)

Regards,
Adrien