[GNC] Problem with Splits

Christian Kluge frakturfreak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 14:49:20 EST 2019

Am 11.02.2019 um 22:15 schrieb Michael or Penny Novack:
> On 2/11/2019 2:40 PM, Christian Kluge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my general rule of thumb is to always entering from an asset or
>> liability account.
>>
>  The proper "general rule" for a (one side) split transaction is to
> enter it from the side (debit or credit) that is NOT being split. That
> this is most often either and asset or a liability account just the
> consequence of that most often the side of the transaction not being split.
>
> Starting with an account on the side of the transaction being split will
> make entry almost as difficult as entering a transaction that is split
> on both sides.
>
> You need an example? Say you are paying for your share of an expense X
> and the person you are sharing with allows you to pay part in cash and
> owe the rest. You would begin this split from the expense account (the
> credit side being split  between cash (asset) and loan (liability)

This I would enter as either three transactions:

By expense to liabilities $100
By liabities to cash $50
By liabilities to loan $50

or if I assume that the loan exists even before I pay in cash:

By expense to loan $100
By loan to cash $50

Also who wants to change accounts all the time.

If I recording cash transactions I don’t go into revenue or expense
accounts but stick with cash.

I my examples above several expense/liability transactions would occur
before I even would post the cash transaction.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge