[GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 06:57:58 EST 2019

Hi David and Peter,

Just a couple minor amendments

On 17/2/19 5:23 pm, David Cousens wrote:
> The  paragraph following that on Digital Links is also instructive in that
> cut and paste is not permitted. Since CSV and or XML links are valid i.e.
> export of an XML or CSV file with the required data from GnuCash to a
> program which implements the API and can import the XML file and communicate
> with HMRC is likely to be the simplest route. The problem is of course that
> neither the XML or CSV export of the required tax data exists. If there is
> an existing linking program capable of importing XML/CSV data and
> communicating it to HMRC, then it would be an obvious choice to target and
> create XML/CSV output for to match its input requirements. The obvious
> candidate to start from would be the existing Tax Reports and create an XML
> file as a secondary output from the creation of the Tax Report and have it
> selectable in the tax report options. The current tax report does have an
> export in txf format which may also be importable into a suitable  linking
> program if that is available

The Tax Report is not suitable for other countries. It is hard-coded to
USD, and US taxcodes, and has been adapted for German tax codes, but is
otherwise unmaintained and unintelligible.

I can amend Income-GST-statement, which is tailor-made for periodic
GST/VAT returns, to output CSV or XML. But so far there's little demand
nor willing beta-testers.

The CSV/XML can be submitted to HMRC via MTD Bridging software, of which
there's plenty of free and non-free options. The bridging software must
handle HMRC authentication and encryption, and this is not suitable for
inclusion in GnuCash.

FWIW I use income-gst-statement quarterly successfully for GST returns
via the ATO portal.