[GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Feb 19 07:25:30 EST 2019

On Tuesday, 19 February 2019 11:41:12 GMT refdoc at gmx.net wrote:
> I am struggling to.understand at the moment the reporting language, which I
> understand is a lisp variant. But what I can see from reading the
> transaction report's source files, is that all logic is very nicely
> compartmentalized, which makes me wonder if a more general solution would
> not be to have parallel to the html render output csv output for all
> reports which rely upon it. This would then allow a much wider use and
> remove the accusation by another member here on the  list that I (or
> others) want something UK specific.
>
> This would also improve in general interoperability on all kinds of levels.
>
> Peter

Over the years, I've heard on this list several times about open source
development taking place because someone has an itch to scratch.

Those of us in the UK who are affected by MTD have an itch.  I have tried in
the past to wrap my feeble brain around Scheme (I assume the reports are still
in Scheme) and failed completely.  So I know that I can't get far with
anything useful other than mungling numbers from one spreadsheet to another -
though I will as far as I can test the work of others who grok Scheme.

Of course it makes sense that any generalised solution that scratches the MTD
itch and can be useful to others around the world is better than a single-
purpose solution....but that is not a reason to fail to scratch the itch in
the first place!

An option/toolbutton to export the report to CSV in addition to the existing
PDF & HTML choices does seem like a good idea though. I'm not sure that
changing the whole reporting engine to automatically drop CSV files on a user's
disk is such a so smart!

Maf.