[GNC] How-to question: CD Interest payments deposited in

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Feb 19 16:10:01 EST 2019

I don’t think you need individual income sub-accounts, rather a more generic one could suffice and put the detail info either in the description, notes, or memo lines as appropriate for the situation.

This would allow you to see why you received that money, but you don’t necessarily need to see that in the CD asset account. (since the value of the asset never really changed anyway)

If for some reason you want the issuance of the interest payment to be reflected in the CD account as well, then additional cancelling splits can be added—e.g.,

Dr. Assets:CD		$10
Cr. Income:CD Income		$10
Dr. Assets:Checking	$10
Cr. Assets:CD			$10

all in the same transaction.

But I don’t know what utility or advantage this would have over simply using a holding account (if needed) or just dropping the money straight to checking and bypassing the CD entirely. And I’d think it more likely to produce clutter and confusion.

I’d use the analogy of rental property here.

You wouldn’t record the receipt of rent in your asset account for the property and then move that money to checking or wherever else, you’d just record the transaction between income and checking and leave the asset out of it entirely. The value of the property itself never changed.

Certainly, if Art clarifies what he’s looking to see and how he wants to retrieve, report or analyze his info, that might guide a more tailored transaction entry example.

Regards,
Adrien