[GNC] QIF import - Loss of sign

Rustyc Russ at turkeysnest.com
Fri Feb 22 20:03:11 EST 2019

Tried posting this yesterday before I was fully "registered" - Hope it
doesn't appear twice.

Hi - Absolute newbie here trying to learn accounting techniques as well as
GnuCash at the same time.
Have done some “Intro to Accounting” exercises, read GnuCash manuals, set up
a chart of accounts and started by importing a QIF file of bank transactions
thinking this would be the quickest way to get going.

I end up with two entries for each transaction but there is no indication of
which entry is for the bank transaction and which is the one I have to
assign to another GnuCash account (which is what I presume is what is
required). The plus and minus signs in the QIF have disappeared. Am I
missing something?

In case this is not clear I’ll give actual numbers. The QIF files has
entries such as:
D26/06/18
T-38.50
PPAY ANYONE ANZxxxL EGGS 0139314487BILL
^
D01/07/18
T7.31
PINTEREST
^
This shows a deposit (interest) and a withdrawal from the bank account. When
imported into GnuCash I end up with 4 lines in the “Account” page. Each
transaction is listed twice – once with the amount under Increase and once
with it under Decrease. And all have Account = “Bank account xxx” (under
“transfer”).

Is this because I specified “Bank Account xxx” somewhere during the import
process? (I was not sure what GC was asking at each stage!).

Can someone maybe explain in simple terms how to import bank data and use it
to populate all transactions (rather than entering transactions and then
assigning each transaction to an existing entry)?

Also, the manual states that “Debit and Credit” terms can be replaced with
“Deposit and Withdrawal” for newbies. However, Account view shows columns
labelled “Increase and Decrease”. Confusing!

Any help appreciated!