[GNC] insurance policy with guaranteed value: how to record increase in value?

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Sat Feb 23 06:54:48 EST 2019

Hello.

I have an insurance policy which works like this:

- after the initial payment, I could make additional payments, up to a
month ago, and I did.

- the company has to have 100% backing for the money received by
customers for this product, meaning all of them could theoretically ask
money back at the same time and it would be possible for the company to
reimburse the sums with no ill effects (so called "Gestione Separata" in
Italian)

- there is a revaluation guarantee at 0%: regardless of the performance
of the investments made by the company (typically a few percent points
per year), the worse it can happen is that I earn nothing for one or
more years; what is already consolidated from the previous year, stays
there.

- it's an insurance policy so there are additional benefits but those
are not relevant to my question.

Having said that, I wonder how to properly record the current value for
this investment: at the moment, the account type is "Attività" (asset)
and I have already recorded the commissions paid as costs. In the
meanwhile, one year has passed and the value has incresed.

I cannot use the price editor, because this product doesn't really have
shares like in the stock exchange or like managed investment funds. I
mean, I could change the account type but it would make no sense to me.
Is there a way to do it with the price editor? I would need to record a
new total value, instead of a new commodity unit value.

Given the revaluation guarantee, I could simply record the difference
between the new and the previous values as a gain and be done with it.

Does it seem reasonable?

Thanks,
Andrea.