[GNC] insurance policy with guaranteed value: how to record increase in value?

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Sun Feb 24 07:24:08 EST 2019

Hello, Michael.

> Ah, my line of country, insurance.

Good thing this is your field of expertise, mine is programming :)

> a) Do they not give you an annual statement? One that indicates
> increase in "cash value".

I have the receipts for the payments made and I can check the current
value on their website but I do no recall receiving an annual statement:
on the website, they state the initial value (matches my records), the
revalued amount and the present value. Also, the website is so
hopelessly early 90s that I wouldn't trust the company if I didn't
already know it was legit.

> product compared to what where I used to work would offer. In other
> words, is that 0% a guarantee on the "investment" component?

Yes, that's the way it was explained to me: in the worst case, I gain
nothing during a given year.

> Assuming you get an annual statement, you could adjust manually at
> that time. The asset would go under "fixed assets" and you are
> correct that you would not be using the "price editor".

Will do, seems both the easieast and the most accurate option.

Thanks,
Andrea.