[GNC] Cashflow-like report to show realized and unrealized gains / balance sheet delta report

Chary Chary chary314 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 05:18:31 EST 2019

Christopher,

thanks.

But I must say, I still have a sneaky feeling, that I may be missing
something, because I just don't understand how people who deal with several
currencies and who have stock can possibly live without such report, which
would show unrealized gains.

Without report with unrealized gains you have a situation, that you have
some balance at the beginning, balance at the end, but you have no report,
which would show how you got from balance at the beginning to balance at
the end. Even though all your individual transactions are balanced, if you
add them all together they will not produce a delta between balance sheets,
in case you deal with  more then one currency or have stock / gold
(anything).

In a very simple situation:

Say I want to report in EUR, but I keep money in USD. Say I have 1000 USD
and exchange rate was 1:1 at the beginning.
So, starting balance sheet will say, that I have 1000 EUR
Then exchange rate changed and now 1 USD costs 2 EUR. So, all of a sudden
balance sheet at the closing will show, that I now have 2000 EUR.
But how did happen?
I would then expect some line, saying something like: "unrealized gain due
to USD/EUR" exchange rate changes"  - 1000 EURO.

The same applies to stock changes.

Am I talking some nonsense? How do people manage their finance without such
analysis in our modern world?